Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Makeup Maturation

If you asked 16 year old me what ONE item is the staple of my makeup collection...
My 16-year-old self would most definitely would answer eyeliner with no hesitation. I used black Prestige Cosmetics Waterproof Automatic Eyeliner  on my waterline, with some mascara and I wore almost no other makeup. That stuff is truely waterproof. and at only four dollars it's a great deal. I still use it if I am going swimming and feel like I need some makeup. 

Now that I am in my 20's my makeup tastes have evolved pretty significantly so I rarely use any black makeup other than mascara anymore. Nothing against it for sure, I actually have a M.A.C. Graphblack technakol eye-liner in my desk at work for emergencies...

I started using concealer and then foundation then blush and highlighters .
Moisturizer and primer were a pretty recent revelation for me though..
Closely following those, I dyed my hair red and got some reddish eyebrow pencil to fill in my brows.

These days I could not pick just one thing as a staple of my routine, but I can narrow it down to a few.

1. BADgal Lash mascara by Benefit Cosmetics :
My best friend Katie told me about this and it is INCREDIBLE. I hate the unnatural clumpy, sticky goopy mascara. this stuff is great, it comes in black and plum, and this is the best I've found. I bought my second tube of black and my first tube of plum yesterday. I used the plum today for the first time, and honestly I really dont notice a difference in color on my eyes, but it works the same as the black and costs the same so it's ok. I will probably use the plum for summer, since it is theoretically a lighter shade than the black. ;)

2. Iridescent pressed powder by M.A.C in Belightful :
This stuff is really pretty, it's sparkly and slightly tinted. I use it daily, sometimes in place of blush. Problem is, it was discontinued this year. so I went to the MAC store last week and asked for help finding an alternative to the irridescent pressed powder, because the color I use was discontinued, Consultant says, "BELIGHTFUL?" Turns out she was just getting ready to send the three they still had in stock back to the manfacturer, so I bought two. I guess I will have to deal with finding a replacement in two compacts.

3. Fix + by M.A.C :
This is a spray that makes my makeup last a lot longer than it normally does. I spray it on after I put my whole face of makeup on and it works as a setting spray. But apparently, this has a multitude of uses..
for foiling pigments, and eyeshadows:  I haven't tried this yet, but I saw a demo on youtube and its pretty awesome looking. you just spray some on your eyeshadow brush, pick up some pigment and swipe it over your eyelid, and it creates an extra vibrant metallic look.  You can also use it as a refresher, when it's hot out or you are feeling shiny.

4. Eye Kohl in Prunella by M.A.C :
This is my favorite eyeliner, mainly because of the color. I used to use a brown Prestige lip liner  as eyeliner, (I thought it was eyeliner and it seemed to work ok) but the color wasn't exactly what I wanted. and I found this color online, and I love it. its a brownish purple. Very pretty.

I just bought a new type of foundation, as I ran out of the one Ive been using for a couple years. It proved too heavy for summer last year, so I decided to get something lighter for this summer (if it ever comes to Oregon). It's Studio Moisture Tint SPF 15 by M.A.C. Today is my first day using it, and it seems ok so far. I like that it has sun protection. even though it's just a little.

About a month ago I came across this video called "Dear 16-year-old Me" and I am now serious about using high SPF sunscreen and trying to get the people I love to quit frying themselves in the sun..





When I was sixteen, I wore black eyeliner and crazy kneesocks, vans shoes, mini skirts and studded belts..
As the years have gone by I definitely look back at "high school Whitney" and think about what a complete dork I was then..  I don't regret that, and luckily I was never REALLY big on tanning but this video made me cry.. So I wear lots of SPF now.

Anyway, cancer sucks big time. but changing the subject...

I think I might be doing another post very soon (I KNOW more than one post a month, say whaaaaat?!) on the contents of my purse. Not super exciting, but I think it might be fun.


That's all I have for now!

<3 Whitney

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to the eyeliner in my younger days... Although I still wear it to this day, I definitely wear it a lot different than I did when I was 15/16! There was a reason people said I looked like Avril Lavigne and it wasn't just because of my hair.

    ReplyDelete